Cancer Genomics Cloud Pilots
CBIIT, in collaboration with the Center for Cancer Genomics, is coordinating a program to develop three Cancer Genomics Cloud Pilots to help meet the research community’s needs to access and analyze high quality, large-scale cancer genomic data and associated clinical information. The goal of this effort is to develop an innovative, cost-effective model for computational analysis of biological data and provide broader yet secure access to genomic data that NCI generates. Cloud computing will be a valuable tool to support studies related to the mechanisms of cancer. This capability will be equally valuable to other NCI scientific areas, including clinical trials and other types of patient-focused research.
The National Cancer Institute has launched the NCIP Hub to help accelerate innovation in the cancer research community. It is an environment for scientific collaboration where researchers can access a variety of resources shared by other cancer researchers. The NCIP Hub is intended to support a community of members with a shared goal of democratizing access to data, tools, and standards across the cancer research community. Content contributions come from community members and can include seminar presentations, publications, training materials, data, tools, and bookmarks to useful sites and information, as well as discussions on them. Join the
The NCIP Open-Development Initiative
The NCI Wiki hosts individual wikis that document the development of applications, activities of working groups, collaborations, informatics projects, and work in specific domains. Visit the wiki dashboard and select the New Account link to participate. For more information, contact Application Support.
- For information about the series and upcoming speakers, visit the CBIIT Speaker Series Wiki. To view previous Speaker Series presentations, visit the .
- The October 22 Cancer Currents blog series post, co-authored by CBIIT Director Dr. Warren Kibbe and NCI's Acting Director for Clinical Research Dr. Jeff Abrams, discusses NCI's role in leading the National Cancer Program. The authors highlight bioinformatics priorities including Genomic Data Commons and Cancer Genomics Cloud Pilots.
The NCI Biomedical Informatics Blog
The NCI Biomedical Informatics Blog provides a forum for the exploration of ideas and knowledge sharing across the NCI and throughout the wider biomedical-informatics and cancer-research community.
Topics recently under discussion include potential NCI Cancer Knowledge Clouds; NCIP support for open, community-driven software development; and intramural collaborations being pursued by NCIP staff. For a more complete description, scroll through the running list of topics contained in the left navigation bar.
Recently published articles authored by NCIP staff and members of the community include the following:
- Gaheen et al., caNanoLab: data sharing to expedite the use of nanotechnology in biomedicine.
- Thomas et al., ISA-TAB-Nano: A Specification for Sharing Nanomaterial Research Data in Spreadsheet-based Format.
- Freimuth et al., Life sciences domain analysis model.
Other publications are available in the Bibliography section of the NCIP website.