The NCIP Open-Development Initiative
The NCI Biomedical Informatics Blog
The NCI Biomedical Informatics Blog provides a forum for the exploration of ideas and knowledge sharing across the NCI and throughout the wider biomedical-informatics and cancer-research community.
Topics recently under discussion include potential NCI Cancer Knowledge Clouds; NCIP support for open, community-driven software development; and intramural collaborations being pursued by NCIP staff. For a more complete description, scroll through the running list of topics contained in the left navigation bar.
The NCI Wiki hosts individual wikis that document the development of applications, activities of working groups, collaborations, informatics projects, and work in specific domains. Visit the wiki dashboard and select the New Account link to participate. For more information, contact Application Support.
- NCI Symposium on Integrative Cancer Biology and Genomics Third Symposium on Translational Genomics, March 20-21, NIH Natcher Auditorium, Bethesda, Maryland
- The CBIIT NanoWG is working with the NCI Office of Cancer Nanotechnology Research to submit data to the caNanoLab data repository. A survey is being conducted to learn what data sources are most relevant and to identify where gaps exist in the database. Deadline for responses: August 8, 2014
- New NCI browser 2.3 updates now available: NCI Term Browser and NCI Metathesaurus, including NCI Term Browser 2.3 Release Notes and Metathesaurus Browser 2.3 Release Notes. Both running on new 6.1 version of LexEVS.
- January 13, 2014: A Broad Agency Announcement for the has been released along with pre-proposal conference and .
- NIH Big Data to Knowledge Initiative Announces FOA for Development of a Data Discovery Index Coordination Consortium (U24). Letters of intent due February 6. Application due date March 6.
- Nature Publishing Group to release metadata associated with Data Descriptor articles under CC0 waiver
- Rembrandt 1.5.9 released. Kaplan Meier (KM) survival plot issues addressed and broken gene/reporter and View 3D applet links fixed. Release notes are posted.
Recently published articles authored by NCIP staff and members of the community include the following:
- Gaheen et al., caNanoLab: data sharing to expedite the use of nanotechnology in biomedicine.
- Thomas et al., ISA-TAB-Nano: A Specification for Sharing Nanomaterial Research Data in Spreadsheet-based Format.
- Freimuth et al., Life sciences domain analysis model.
Other publications are available in the Bibliography section of the NCIP website.